FAQ on TPS for the Philippines


Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 9.09.02 PM

WATCH NOW this short video featuring San Francisco legislators, immigrant workers, and children voicing their support for Temporary Protected Status for the Philippines.

1. What is Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for the Philippines?

TPS is a temporary form of humanitarian relief the United States government can offer to aid in the recovery of the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan. If granted, TPS would provide undocumented and out of status Filipinos in the U.S. the following:

– Protection from deportation

– Authorization to work

– Eligibility for overseas travel

2. If granted, who would qualify?

A national of the Philippines who has been continuously physically present in the United States since the date of Typhoon Haiyan or a date to be determined by USCIS upon granting TPS.

You MAY NOT be eligible if you:

– Have been convicted of any felony or two or more misdemeanors committed in the United States;

-Are found inadmissible as an immigrant under applicable grounds in INA section 212(a), including non-waivable criminal and security-related grounds

-Are subject to any of the mandatory bars to asylum

-Fail to meet initial or late initial TPS registration requirements

3. How long would the benefits of TPS last?

Other countries that have been granted TPS such as Haiti and El Salvador have maintained their benefits for their nationals in the U.S. for several years with renewals of the status. Although we are not certain, the Philippines may be handled similarly based on past experiences.

4. Why should I support TPS for the Philippines?

– TPS would prevent Filipinos in the U.S. who have committed no crimes from being deported back to the Philippines, which is currently living through a humanitarian crisis wherein 4.1 million people have been displaced by the typhoon.

– TPS would strengthen the ability of undocumented and out of status Filipinos in the U.S. to send money back home and contribute to the rebuilding of the Philippines.

5. How can I support the campaign to get TPS for the Philippines?

– Call the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) asking for TPS for the Philippines. Dial: (202) 282-8495 then say:

“Hello. I’m (YOUR NAME), from (YOUR CITY and STATE). I am calling because it is very important that TPS be granted immediately for ALL of the Philippines.”

For instructions on how write a letter or email DHS go to www.nafconusa.org/tps.

– Educate and get others to take action as well.

For more information: Call NAFCON staff at 415.333.6267 or email info @ nafconusa.org


Category: Home Slider, Typhoon Relief Efforts · Tags:

Comments are closed.

Like NAFCON on Facebook