NAFCON is a national multi-issue alliance of Filipino organizations and individuals in the United States serving to protect the rights and welfare of Filipinos by fighting for social, economic, and racial justice and equality. At present, NAFCON members encompass over 23 cities in the United States.
Throughout the United States, Filipino organizations and individuals have been engaged in community-based and worker-based organizing and leadership development. These groups have been at the forefront—fighting for social, racial and economic justice by waging campaigns on behalf of their constituencies.
Campaigns have included advocating issues in the Philippines, as well as internationally, and doing relief and support work for Filipinos facing crisis’ while in the midst of chronically impoverished situations. A national alliance amongst these organizations and individuals finally formed in 2003. The National Alliance for Filipino Concerns (NAFCON):
- Forwards the advancement of community-based and worker-based organizing
- Spearheads national campaigns on behalf of the most marginalized and impoverished sectors of society
- Fosters the growth of community-based leadership
- Promotes positive cultural exchange based on Filipino perspectives and experiences
- Protect and advance the rights and welfare of Filipinos by fighting for social, economic and racial equality
- Respond to the basic needs and interests of Filipinos in the US through education, action and national unity
- Promote Filipino heritage as a positive cultural identity and contribution to US society
- Pursue the call for international peace, based on social justice
- Empowers and gives voice to Filipino communities in the United States
- Celebrates Filipino heritage
- Protects and respects Filipino rights and welfare
- Effectively addresses Filipino interests and concerns
- Gives Filipinos the opportunity to uplift the Philippine homeland and diaspora through social and economic reforms that strive for justice and lasting peace